Monday, July 22, 2013

Selecting a Lector

This Saturday at the GK Workshop I'll be talking to GKs & DGKs about who in a council might make a good lector. At the end of my presentations I'll ask the attendees to visit this post when they get home. So if you current Lectors have anything to add, please put it in a comment. If you comment before Friday July 26 I may work it into my Saturday pitch.  

I'll be including the following:

To start, what is a Lector? Here's good general definition of the Lector's job:

"The lector provides both educational and entertaining programs to the council. He is responsible for the ‘Good of the Order’ portion of council meetings. In order to provide members with informative and educational programs, he must be knowledgeable and aware of all council programming."

I agree with this job description; but for South Carolina Lectors I would rephrase it to:

"The lector provides both educational and entertaining programs to the council. He is responsible for the ‘Good of the Order’ portion of council meetings. His goal is to prepare his Brother Knights for the New Evangelization. That is, to help them know Catholicism well-enough to explain it to non-Catholics."

A good potential lector would likely have some of these characteristics:

-is orthodox.

-is actively interested in Catholicism, does more than go to Mass on Sunday.

-goes to Confession.

-prays regularly.

-is a convert.

-is a deacon.

-reads regularly to deepen his faith.

-is evangelistic, likes to talk about God.

-is a catechist or helps with RCIA or Adult Ed, Bible study, etc.

-reads the Bible.

-speaks well to an audience.

-is self-motivating.

I would say giving one lecture a month is fine. If a council wants two a month it might consider having two brothers be co-lectors. If I were starting from scratch I might find two-a-month to be burdensome. If the Lector has trouble generating topics, he might take requests from the council members, or borrow from the talks already posted here at the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment